Sunday, December 20, 2009

Better Than Any Perfectly Wrapped Expensive Present

Friday, one of my customers came in with her two little boys.  She asked her older boy to tell me where they were going next and he let me know that they were going to Grandma's house to make Pizzelles (delicious homemade Italian wafer like cookies) with her.  I let him know that those are my favorites!  Really, my favorites.  So, we laughed and chatted and off they went.  Well, Saturday my customer's Mom and Aunt came in to my store with arms out with a foil wrapped package.  Inside were the best Pizzelles!!  As if that wasn't sweet enough, I took one out and in the middle of the cookie was "LS". 

Then came another gift, the story of these Pizzelles.  "LS" was Lorenzo Sanzo, my customer's grandfather.  He made this press that weighs over 60 lbs. and is over 100 years old.  It has stayed in the family and they make these cookies every year.  They have to use this press over a gas stove and they can only make one at a time.  They made about 150 of them this year.  I just love that story.  In each bite of the Pizzelles, you can just taste the history and love that is mixed in the batter, and then artistically pressed in Lorenzo's handywork, generation after generation after generation.  What a gift.

No comments: