Saturday, January 16, 2010

Love & Loss

Today one of my very, very regular customers came in to our store.  I was cashing someone else out and my mom was putting the items in a bag, and we were chatting as usual, laughing, chatting, laughing and chatting.  Our "very regular" customer was waiting patiently for us to finish up with the other customer, and I could just tell that she wasn't quite right.  My mom noticed it too, I could tell.....we've been together for 43 years now, it's all pretty understood between us.  We finished with the previous customer and rang up an item for our "very regular" customer.  My mom said, "are you o.k.?", and I said, "you are not o.k., something is wrong".  She burst into tears and told us that her daughter's dog had passed away.  Her daughter had adopted her 4 or 5 years ago and now she was 12 and had had a stroke and passed.  Our customer was broken hearted, and as a mother was of course absorbing the pain of her daughter.  You can say all the things you're supposed to say, but it really doesn't matter, it's horrible to lose a pet.  We are dog lovers and know that pain.  Our customer proceeded to tell us that the vet came to her daughter's house and "took care" of the dog while she lay in her daughter's arms.  I admire that.  I don't know that I could do that.  I have my own dog, he's 12 years old now, I know he won't last forever, but I fear "that day".  I just don't think I can have him in my arms when that happens, that feeling will haunt me, I know it.  I worried about that today, whether or not that is selfish on my part, I still don't think I'll be able to do that.  I don't know, I guess it's just best to take it one day at a time and love my little gift while I have him and cross that bridge when it comes.  Our dogs definitely leave their pawprints on our hearts forever.

No comments: